If you would like to participate in the activities of the Ocean Center as a volunteer, but cannot commit to more than one month (30 days) to one and a half months (45 days), we accept short-term participation in the form of work experience. The duties are the same as for volunteers.
Age : Up to about 50 years old (gender, education, and work experience not required; no driver’s license required)
- If you are a junior or senior high school student, you must have a parent or guardian who can help you at the site
- Junior and senior high school students are not allowed to use the accommodation facilities at the center, but are required to commute to the center after securing accommodation outside of the Marine Center
Conditions : Those who can participate in at least two voyages (10 days).
- In July and August, we have a wide range of work to do, so we will basically give priority to long-term volunteers
- If you are physically fit and can swim 50 meters in the ocean, please apply (especially during sea turtle survey season)
- Those who understand the conditions of the Marine Center and are comfortable living in an environmentally friendly environment
- Those who are cooperative (living and working together is the basis of the program)
Transportation expenses : To be borne by the applicant.
*Please contact the local boat administrative company, Ogasawara Kaiun, for information on fares and schedules for the Ogasawara Maru boatliner.
Cost : 500 yen per day includes a training instruction fee and contribution towards the sea turtle conservation activity fund.
- In addition, an instruction fee of 1,000 yen will be charged for the short-term program. 【Total: 1,500 yen per day】*Food will be purchased jointly with the volunteers present at the time. (Rice and seasonings will be provided by us.)
Insurance : The group will purchase volunteer insurance from the Council of Social Welfare. (Insurance premiums will be paid by the group). If you already have this insurance, please let us know in advance. The volunteer insurance is valid for the year in which it is purchased, regardless of the location of the volunteer activity.
How to apply : Please contact the Ogasawara Marine Center first. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please let us know when you would like to participate and for how long. We will reply to you. The period of time you wish to participate should be in accordance with the schedule of the Ogasawara Maru. If the schedule has not been announced yet, please write an approximate period.
- We will send you a resume template. Once we receive your resume, we will contact you.
Please note :
- If we do not receive your resume within two weeks of your inquiry, we will prioritize the participation of other volunteers.
- You will be sharing a living space with other volunteers and working together.
- If you have ever had a serious illness or injury, or have a pre-existing condition, please let us know in advance.
- We may not be able to accompany you on a sea turtle survey unless you can swim to some extent with these three items (mask, snorkel, and fins).